Wiston is both a hamlet and a parish running from the downs south of Chanctonbury Ring to the North of Ashington Village and reaching between Steyning and Washington.
The parish church of St Mary`s adjoins Wiston House below the north slope of the Downs.
However, services are held once a month at Buncton Chapel which is a 12th century church inthe village.
The principal features of the village are Wiston House, Wiston Pond and Chanctonbury Ring.
Wiston House was built around 1575 and is privately owned, although it is used by the Foreign Office and let out for functions.
1400 hectares supports a population of 200.
With grateful thanks to West Sussex Newspapers Ltd for the use of these notes from their Horsham District Citizens Guide.