West Chiltington is traversed by some of the loveliest lanes in the county,
including the aptly and quaintly named The Hollows, west of the old village, leading from there to The Common.
The village was recorded in the Domesday book and was undoubtedly known to the Saxons.
Its church, like many in the area built in honour of St Mary, dates back to 1100.
It contains one of the largest leppers` squints in England.
Outside the church are stocks and a whipping post.
The village has twice one the coveted title of Best Kept Village.
An area of just over 1600 hectares supports a population of around 3500
With grateful thanks to West Sussex Newspapers Ltd for the use of these notes from their Horsham District Citizens Guide.