Upper Beeding village is mainly residential in character and the majority of its houses were built in the present century.
Its ancient buildings, mainly houses, straddle the High Street and form part of a conservation area.
Much of the parish church of St Peter dates back to the 14th century.
At one time it served as the church for the Benedictine Priory of Sele, founded there in 1705.
History tells us that the monks used the chancel for their services while those for the parishoners took place in the nave.
Upper Beeding also has the Roman Catholic Convent of the Blessed Sacrament, and The Towers, its associated private school.
Upper Beeding has an area of about 2000 hectares and a population of 3760.
With grateful thanks to West Sussex Newspapers Ltd for the use of these notes from their Horsham District Citizens Guide.